Join The Team!
Rock Island is an amazing place to work. We have a diverse staff of motivated people working to make their community a better place to live. We get to engage with our friends, families, and communities on dozens of our islands to help them get connected to our locally owned and locally operated network.
Title: Solutions Engineer
This position is responsible primarily for providing technical services for customers at the customer premises but may also provide these services from the office or other remote locations. This position also includes providing technical services in support of the company’s internal operations, working with both residential and business customers, trouble-shooting network operations in addition to facilitating network connections and installations.
- Install equipment and services for customers.
- Respond to customer inquiries and provide them with technical assistance
- Collaborate with Technical Support Reps and other Rock Island staff to schedule, understand, prioritize, and address customer issues.
- Design, build, deliver, and test solutions for customer needs.
- Document time and materials accurately for billing purposes.
- Utilize the appropriate systems to manage customer records, inventory, and invoicing.
- Provide a positive and professional greeting to all customers
- Help customers understand our products and programs
- Distribute information and equipment to customers
- Design, build, deliver, and test solutions for internal company technology needs
- Perform other duties as assigned
- High School Diploma: Associate’s or bachelor’s degree preferred.
- At least 2 years experience in jobs involving computer and network technology, with an extensive customer service component.
- Strong knowledge of computer and networking technologies.
- Professional Certifications (such as MCP, CCNA) are desirable
- Solid understanding of computer systems, and networking and data communications principles.
- Skilled at troubleshooting, diagnosing, and resolving computer system and networking issues.
- Basic understanding of data wiring (e.g., CAT6).
- Extensive knowledge of Internet Service Provider technologies and equipment, including wireless, and fiber optics.
- Solid understanding of system administration for Windows and Mac environments, sufficient to solve customer issues and design solutions, including integration of software and hardware solutions.
- Solid understanding of MS Office 365 deployment and support.
- Solid knowledge of installing and maintaining Windows servers 2012 – 2019
- Customer Service – Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Response to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Problem Solving – Identifies and resolves problems time efficiently; Gathers and analyzes information; Develops solutions; Uses reason.
- Communication – Speaks clearly and persuasively; listens and gets clarification when necessary; ability to communicate effectively with others, both orally and in writing.
- Planning/Organizing – Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks.
- Professionalism – Approaches others in a polite and tactful manner; Maintains composure and reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration; Follows through on commitments.
- Some work is in an office environment, but at least 50% of this position’s duties are performed in the field, including customer premises and computer equipment areas. Some work will be performed outdoors, working with ladders and outdoor equipment such as network equipment cabinets and interface devices.
- Extensive travel is required throughout San Juan County by car, ferry, and airplane.