Emergency Broadband Benefit
The Emergency Broadband Benefit (EBB) is a federally funded program to help families and households struggling to afford internet service during the COVID-19 pandemic. With everything happening online these days, it’s so important that internet service is accessible. Rock Island is excited to be a participating service provider.
About the EBB Discount
This is a $50 discount on Fiber30 or LTE only. The Emergency Broadband Benefit will provide a discount of up to $50 per month towards broadband service for eligible households.
The Emergency Broadband Benefit is limited to one monthly service discount and one device discount per household.
Who Is Eligible for the Emergency Broadband Benefit Program?
A household is eligible if a member of the household meets one of the criteria below:
- Has an income that is at or below 135% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines or participates in certain assistance programs, such as SNAP, Medicaid, or Lifeline;
- Approved to receive benefits under the free and reduced-price school lunch program or the school breakfast program, including through the USDA Community Eligibility Provision, in the 2019-2020, 2020-2021, or 2021-2022 school year;
- Received a Federal Pell Grant during the current award year;
- Experienced a substantial loss of income due to job loss or furlough since February 29, 2020, and the household had a total income in 2020 at or below $99,000 for single filers and $198,000 for joint filers; or
- Meets the eligibility criteria for a participating provider’s existing low-income or COVID-19 program.
How To Apply
- Visit https://getemergencybroadband.org/ to see if you qualify, and to fill out the online application.
- Once your application has been approved, send an email to Rock Island at [email protected] with the following information:
- Your application number
- Your signed consent form (this gives Rock Island permission to enroll you in the EBB program)
- Any questions we can answer for you.
- Print an application here or call 833-511-0311 to request one be mailed to you
- Return your completed application to:
Emergency Broadband Support Center
P.O. Box 7081
London, KY 40742
- Libraries, schools, and family resource centers in San Juan County are ready to assist you with applying in person if necessary.
What is the EBB Program?
The Emergency Broadband Benefit program is a federal program that allows qualifying customers to receive a credit on their monthly internet rate.
How much is the discount?
$50.00 off your monthly Fiber30 or LTE internet service bill.
How do I qualify?
Check here: https://getemergencybroadband.org/do-i-qualify/
How do I apply?
- Apply online: https://getemergencybroadband.org/how-to-apply/
- Request assistance in the local library or family resource center. Paper enrollment forms are also available.
How long will the discount last?
As this is a federal grant program, we don’t know how long the designated funds will last; we will update you as we learn more about the timeframe of this program
Can I use this discount on any Rock Island rate plan?
- No. The eligible rate plans for EBB discount are:
- Fiber 30 – $80 before the discount.
- LTE Fixed Wireless – $75 before the discount.
If I lose this discount, how do I keep my costs low?
OPALCO offers an Energy Assist Program (EAP). Rock Island customers who qualify for EAP get a $25 discount on their internet service bill